Bulk Liquid Global Market Report 2023 predicts that the market for bulk liquids will grow from $55.35 billion in 2022 to $59.44 billion in 2023 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 7.4 percent. It anticipates that the market will reach $76.93 billion in 2027, a CAGR of 6.7 percent. DOT 412 trailers transport corrosive liquids, a specialized segment of the bulk liquid market that includes Sulfuric Acid (H2SO4), the most commonly-produced industrial chemical in the world. The DOT 412 tank trailer meets the transportation equipment needs of manufacturers and distributors as they work to fulfill the growing customer demand for these types of chemicals.
What Industries Use DOT 412 Trailers?
DOT 412 trailers are used to transport corrosive chemicals such as nitric or sulfuric acids, oxidizing liquids, base liquids and other hazardous chemicals. In addition to their use in chemical and pharmaceutical manufacturing, numerous other industries use these industrial materials. For example, the agricultural industry uses lime and acidifying agents in fertilizer and agrichemical products. Manufacturers of petroleum products also transport and distribute ingredients key to their processes and production with DOT 412 trailers.
What Companies Manufacture DOT 412 Trailers In North America?
According to the Truck Trailer Manufacturers Association, the following companies fabricate DOT 412 trailers:
- Brenner Tank, LLC
- Bulk Tank International
- Heil Trailer International LLC
- Polar Tank Trailer
- Tank Truck Service & Sales Inc.
- The Walker Group
- Tremcar, Inc.
DOT 412 Trailers: Description And Key Properties
DOT 412 trailers have a capacity that ranges from 4,000 to 5,500 gallons and a typical GCWR of 80,000 pounds. The maximum allowable working pressure (MAWP) is 35 PSI and the maximum loading temperature is typically 150 degrees fahrenheit. DOT 412 trailer models also come with single or multiple compartments, and may be lined and / or insulated in accordance with product requirements and customer specifications.
DOT 412 trailers are manufactured from specialty stainless steel to improve corrosion resistance and often have visible rings around the tank barrel. The inside of the tank may be equipped with rubber or fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP) tank liners to accommodate specific products. For example, Wabash manufactures a line of corrosive tanks that has a fiber-reinforced plastic unit which enables it to transport sulfuric acid concentrations up to 98 percent. (“Wabash|Corrosives Tank Trailers”).
How Does A DOT 412 Trailer Compare To Other Trailer Types
The three (3) most common U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) chemical tanker types are: the DOT 406, the DOT 407, and the DOT 412 trailer models. These units are important to the chemical transportation industry with each type of trailer transporting a specific class of chemicals and meeting strict DOT standards.
- DOT 406 trailers are commonly used for the transportation of petroleum products, food products, and water. The DOT 406 trailer is generally constructed from aluminum and is often compartmentalized to accommodate formula variations of the same product.
- DOT 407 trailers are most often constructed of stainless steel and are designed to transport non-corrosive chemicals such as combustible materials and mild acids, including food grade products.
- DOT 412 trailers are designed to handle corrosive materials and heavier liquids. Thus, the DOT requirements are stricter in order to minimize safety and environmental risks during the transport of hazardous liquids.
DOT 412 Trailers
Matlack’s DOT 412 trailers are manufactured with T-316L stainless steel for superior corrosion resistance and they meet the DOT requirements for transporting corrosive chemical products. The DOT 412 trailers in our fleet have a 5,000 gallon capacity and a GCWR of 80,000 pounds. The maximum allowable working pressure (MAWP) of our units is 35 PSI combined with a maximum loading temperature of 150 degrees fahrenheit. Matlack’s DOT 412 trailers are outfitted with teflon encapsulated seals and outlet gasket, emergency valve, and come in a tandem spread-axle configuration.
Contact Matlack Leasing For DOT 412 Trailers And Other Liquid Bulk Transportation Equipment
At Matlack Leasing, LLC, we specialize in tank trailer and tank chassis leasing. Matlack Leasing includes DOT 412 trailers as part of its extensive lease fleet for customers that require transportation equipment for corrosive products. Our expert leasing and operations team members will assist you with procuring specific equipment and acquiring post manufacturing add-ons like tank liners, in order to meet your bulk liquid transportation requirements. If you’re looking to lease DOT 412 trailers, DOT 407s, or tank chassis~. Contact Matlack Leasing today and inquire about availability and locations for our equipment.
- “Bulk Liquid Global Market Report 2023.” GlobeNewswire, 24 February 2023,. Accessed 15 June 2023.
- Burke, Robert. “Hazmat Containers – Part 1: Highway Bulk Containers |
- Firehouse.” Firehouse Magazine, 1 February 2000,. Accessed 15 June 2023.
- “Tank Choice.” Bulk Transporter, 9 May 2023,. Accessed 15 June 2023.
- Truck Trailer Manufacturers Association, 9 May 2023, Accessed 15 June 2023.
- “Wabash | Corrosives Tank Trailers.” Wabash National,. Accessed 16 June 2023.